What caises Fatty liver?

i just got diagnosed with this condition - dr said go on a low gi diet which means nothing to me my AIC is 6.7 my cholosteral is triglycerides 3.24 the hdl is 1.42 the cholesteral is 6.67 been on bp pills since 2005 - 40 mg -- he has me on metaformin 500 mg 2 /day and i am going to go pick up prescprition for lipitor today - i had gallbladder removed in 2010 and i have a fatty liver -- i am doomed :( i had to call him to get a referral to a dietician i dont see her till feb 3 -- what on earth do i do till then ? mesage board i read said if you have no gallbladder best to avoid carbs they have fat in them - good grief i got diarahea week since i started taking this metaformin -- bpi is all over 175/100 to 114/95 -- i am scrambling at what to eat -- i had 1 serving of low fat greek yogurt 9 g carbs - and 1 tbsp of ovaltime - for breakfast --- i am sure i am not eating enough i dont know what the combinations of foods i shoudl be eating - i am lost and depressed - dr said i probably have year ?? what ?? i hope you can give me some information i am struggling here what to do - what to eat -- etc. thanks
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Take LOW calorie, LOW fat, HIGH Protein diet Detailed Answer: Hi Lady, Thanks for your query. Firstly, PLEASE RELAX! There's nothing serious. NO NEED TO WORRY. 1. Fatty liver and high Lipid levels are due to uncontrolled diabetes. Lipid levels will come down, while a gradual reduction in fatty liver will occur, ONCE your diabetes is under ideal control and well stabilized. As such, A1c of 6.7 is not very high and indicates satisfactory control of diabetes. Aim should be to bring it down ideally, to 6 or less. 2. Your diarrhea is apparently due to Metformin. Apprise your doctor about diarrhea and he will switch to some other equally effective drug, such as Glimepiride. As long as you have diarrhea, take PLENTY of fluids to avoid dehydration. 3. The function of gall bladder is to form, store and concentrate bile. Bile facilitates digestion of fat. Hence, following gall-bladder removal, digestion of fat is impaired. Just take LOW fat diet (as far as possible, avoid meat, poultry products, butter, cheese, whole milk, eggs, confectionary, junk food, fast food, burgers, pizzas, etc.) 4. STOP alcohol, smoking, aerated/carbonated drinks/beverages (if applicable to you). 5. Till you meet a dietician, simply cut down by 50% on sugar and sugar-containing products, rice, fruits, sweets, confectionary, ice-creams etc.. 6. Take six small meals in a day (snacks between breakfast and lunch; with evening tea; and at bedtime), in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner. 7. In a nutshell, take LOW calorie, LOW Carbohydrate, LOW fat and HIGH protein diet. Take a plateful of green salads (raw) 15 minutes before lunch and dinner. 8. Please DO NOT STOP CARBOHYDRATES COMPLETELY. You need to take at least 100gms of carbs daily, which are the ready fuel required for daily routine chores. 9. Control of diabetes further requires * regular, daily physical exercises (gym, jogging, brisk walks, cycling, aerobic exercises, swimming etc.) for at least 45 mins/day; * Reduction of body weight (if overweight) to ideal level (BMI of less than 25); * Strict control of blood pressure (BP should be around 120/80). Your doctor will modify your BP drugs, so as to lower the BP to desirable levels. * Regular check up of Blood sugar levels. May I assure you that strict adherence to diet, weight reduction,regular exercises and, regular/timely medication, will bring your blood sugar, blood pressure, high lipids and fatty liver under control. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What caises Fatty liver? 1 hour later
isnt 100 g of carbs a bit high -? i will have to address this questions with the dietician - got apmt for tues XXXXXXX 14 -- instead of feb 3 see article below High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including: Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a XXXXXXX metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day. Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease. High cholesterol . It is well known that high-protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High-protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete a large amount of calcium in their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones. A diet that increases protein at the expense of a very restrictive intake of plant carbohydrates may be bad for bones, but not necessarily a high-protein intake alone. Cancer. One of the reasons high-protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: The article echoes my recommendation Detailed Answer: The first paragraph itself vindicates my recommendation. Unfortunately, majority of the doctors worldwide are oblivious of this fact and thereby, recommend a low carb diet to diabetics. Daily intake of 100gm of Carbohydrates in diabetic patients, will be completely burnt to produce energy required for daily routine chores and ALSO prevent excessive breakdown of body fat. Further, the caloric requirement in diabetics, depends on body weight, BMI and the degree of daily physical activities. The balance of caloric requirement would be met from Proteins and fats. A low fat diet would have to be compensated by increase in dietary proteins, which are the building blocks of the body. Recommended Caloric Requirement in diabetics is DIFFERENT IN EACH COUNTRY. Depending on the Recommended Caloric Requirement in diabetics in your country, your dietician will formulate a balanced diet chart for you. Have faith in me and follow the advice. Take care