What branch of medical speciality best equipped to diagnose and treat dry mouth disorder?
User rating for this question
what branch of medical specialty best equipped to diagnose and treat dry mouth disorder? Symptoms have accelerated in a few months.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rheumatologist Detailed Answer: Dear Ms XXXX, Thanks for the query; the symptom you are talking about we name it xerostomia, that is dry mouth. Although medication side effect is the most common cause overall, there are other organic entities, mostly auto-immune that can give rise to such complaint, such as Sjogren's disease and sicca syndrome; a Rheumatologist is the specialist who handles this cheif complaint more often. Hope this helps wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: What branch of medical speciality best equipped to diagnose and treat dry mouth disorder? 3 days later
could you please name the generic class of drugs and some examples of those that are associated with aggravating dry mouth issues? Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 hours later
Brief Answer: See below Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Here are a few groups of medications with examples: Anticholinergics: meclizine, atropine, ipratropium, benztropine. Tricyclic antidepressants: imipramine, amytriptiline Antihistaminics: diphenhydramine, dimenhydrinate That to mention a few of the most common. If you write down your medication list to me, I can see if any of those has been associated with dry mouth as side effect. Best regards
People also viewed
- What are the symptoms of dry mouth?
- Feeling weak nauseous and heart flutters
- Medical causes of dry mouth
- Is fainting a side effect of bupropion?
- Will salagen treat dry mouth ?
- Is confusion a side effect of bydureon?
- Vagina feels like it s on fire
- Is headache a side effect of ambien cr?
- Is dark urine a side effect of bactrim?
- Fluttering feeling in nose means
- Medical dry mouth symptoms
- What causes dry mouth
- What are the side effects of betaseron?
- Fluttering feeling inside left side of head
- Flutter feeling under right rib