What are these small little red spots on my legs under the skin?

Jan 2014

hi. I have had small little red spots on my legs. they are not lumpy they appear to be under the skin. I have no idea really how to describe them. they are around my ankles and calves. nothing above my knees as yet. not sure what it is they look like blood spots under my skin. it is very smooth to touch.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Pigmented purpuric dermatosis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep possibility of Pigmented purpuric dermatosis but i would like to gather some more information regarding your concern in order to be able to help you better. Since how long do you have these spots? Are they bilateral? Are there any associated symptoms? Any joint pains, fever etc? Do you have any history of Varicose veins? Do you notice swelling of your lower legs on prolonged standing? take care regards
Follow-up: What are these small little red spots on my legs under the skin? 18 minutes later
No swelling and not sure what varicose veins look like. No fever or anything. I did notice that i did hav itchy ankles a while ago but thats it. But there starting to be more on legs then before
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pigmented purpuric dermatosis OR Capillaritis Detailed Answer: Hi. Pigmented pupuric dermatoses, have an unknown etiology and have a very distinctive clinical appearance. They are characterized by extravasation of erythrocytes in the skin with hemosiderin deposition. The cause of pigmented purpuric dermatoses is unknown. People who have a history of prolonged standing or walking during the day are more predisposed to develop it. Venous hypertension, exercise, and gravitational dependency are important cofactors that appear to influence disease presentation. Pigmented purpuric dermatoses usually occur more frequently in men than in women. The lesions are chronic and persist for years. With time, many of the lesions tend to extend, but some may spontaneously clear. No medical intervention is of proven benefit for the treatment of the pigmented purpuric dermatoses. -Pruritus may be alleviated by the use of topical corticosteroids and antihistamines. -Associated venous stasis should be treated by compression stockings. -Prolonged leg dependency should be avoided. -The use of narrowband UVB and psoralen plus UVA have shown to be effective treatments for some patients with pigmented purpuric dermatoses. hope this helps take care regards