What are these raised red bumps that itch and have been spreading in some parts of the body ?

My husband has red raised bumps with white in the middle. They started on the back of his knees- about 4 or 5 on each knee. He has some on his back and side (probably about 10) sporadically placed. They itch intensely. they look like bug bites, ants, mosquitos, but he hasn't been outside. He had one new one this morning. They look almost like chicken pox. They are not in clusters or do not appear to be a rash. What could this be? He is 47 years old.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

You have mentioned that your husband has red raised bumps with white in middle occurring over the extremities and back.

1. Are they fluid filled ?
2. Any associated Fever and Joint Pains ?

Many conditions can lead to such spots.
It can range from as simple as scabies and allergy.
Chicken pox typically causes skin lesions which are reddish, fluid filled and itch.

It will be helpful for me to give you a specific advice if you could mail me the pictures of the lesions.
You can send them at YYYY@YYYY with Subject: Attn: Dr Kiran Kumar.

Its unlikely to be due to insect bite. Because you have mentioned that he has not been out and also because such lesions tend to be localized to one region. Chicken Pox is a probability. Type of lesion will help in this regards.

You could also consult a physician and get him examined.

Please do mail me the photos as this would help me in suggesting you better and confirm the mailing by writing here so as to reply you at the earliest.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran