What are these painful lumps on my shin?

Hi I've recently developed a couple of painful lumps on my shin They are painful like a bruise, but were not caused by a knock, nor is the skin discoloured. They are painful to the touch and consist of a lump and swelling. What can it be? XXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of thickened vein Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms Presence of spontaneously occurring painful lumps over the shin without any history of trauma I would consider the possibility of 1. Phleboliths or thickened veins 2. Fatty necrosis Exact diagnosis will depend on clinical examination. In the absence of any discolouration of skin or other symptoms, there should not be any cause for concern and should resolve. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD