What are the ways to quit smoking?

Hi.. What are the ways to quit smoking.?? I have been smoking from 4 yrs..and want to quit it as I feel constant headache, nervousness and my mind gets fluctuated all the time, and I loosing my confidence day by day. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Make up your mind first. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I went through your query and understood your concerns. The best way to quit smoking is to first make up your mind to do it. Really make up your mind. When you make up your mind, then find out how hard it is to quit and how you are going to deal with the nicotine withdrawal symptoms, which is your biggest challenge. There are nicotine patches and gum available on the market to help you. These are few steps to helpful in controlling craving for smoking: 1.If you feel like you're going to give in to your tobacco craving, tell yourself that you must first wait 10 more minutes and then do something to distract yourself for that period of time. 2.Avoid triggers. Urges for tobacco are likely to be strongest in the situations where you smoked or chewed tobacco most often, such as at parties or bars, in the car or while watching television. 3.Physical activity can help distract you from tobacco cravings and reduce the intensity of cravings. 4.Remember the benefits of quitting. Write down or say out loud the reasons you want to stop smoking and resist tobacco cravings. 5. Reinforcement from friends and family members. You can try these measures for few days, if craving doesn't reduce then you can try Try nicotine replacements. Try a nicotine replacement product instead of a cigarette. Some types of nicotine replacement therapy, including patches, gums and lozenges, are available over-the-counter. Nicotine nasal spray and the nicotine inhaler are available by prescription. You may get some withdrawal symptoms but these will reduce with a week or two. You just need to divert your mind and involve in some activity , surely you can quit smoking. So many people have done this, so possible for you to quit smoking. You can involve in Exercise; take hot baths; use relaxation techniques; avoid caffeine avoid stress for your mind fluctuation and nervousness. most of symptom will reduce in a week. Hope this information helps you, Feel free to ask further related quires. I will be glad to answer them. Wish you a good health. Regards
Follow-up: What are the ways to quit smoking? 1 hour later
I have been trying for that. What are the chewing gums available??is it really worthful? and I was suffering from chest pain from last 3, 4 days. If I quit am I going to recover my health as I think I might have damaged my lungs.? If yes how much time will it take to be totally healthy as I was earlier.?
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Definitely some amount of recovery possible Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up query. Chewing gum is going to release nicotine, it reduces withdrawal symptom. smoking causes effect due to nicotine content in it. With use of chewing gum, you are getting protected from smoke, which contains many harmful chemicals, which are hazardous to health. But it gives same effect as smoking because of nicotine. With cessation of smoke definitely you are going be benefited. there will some amount of recovery, may not return to completely normal. But if damage is less, there are chances of complete recovery. Most lung recovery happens within one year of abstinence, though some damage may be irreversible. Hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask further related query. If satisfied close query and rate it. Regards