Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the ways to dissolve kidney stones with some precautions?

General Surgeon
Hi, i am diagnosed with kidney stones,,,the largest one is of 9mm size in right kidney with small ones of size 5 to 6 mm,,, and 3 stones in my left kidney of size 3-4 mm... i want to know is it possible to dissolve 9mm kidney stones with some precautions
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Maintaining high urine output by water intake can Detailed Answer: Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The normal cut off point for the probability of stone top spontaneously pass is 7mm. As your size is marginally bigger than it, it could still pass spontaneously. I hope you have been thoroughly investigated for the cause of renal calculi Ruling out causes of calculi is important as to prevent recurrence. I would suggest you the following 1. Ensuring high urine output- consumption of water atleast 2.5 to 3 liter per day will help flush out stones 2. Avoiding foods having high calcium and oxalate content. 3. Ruling out other treatable causes of renal calculi like Hypercalcemia, hyperphosphatemia Periodic assessment of size of renal calculi by monthly ultrasound abdomen assessment is required to know the progress of treatment I hope it helped Kindly get back to me if you have any other query Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS MS MCH Consultant Surgeon