What are the various treatment options for umbilical hernia in children?
User rating for this question
My son who is 8months old has umbilical hernia. Umbilical hernia is not present at the time of birth but popped out when he was around 4 months old and now grown to a size of table tennis ball. Is surgery the only option to get rid of it or any medication will help. What are the side effects of umbilical hernia???
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Most umbilical hernias resolve spontaneously Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Most umbilical hernias resolve spontaneously. Surgery is needed in following conditions: Hernia is located above umbilicus Hernia persists beyond the age of 5 years child has other connective tissue disorders. Thus you can wait and watch the progress of the hernia. If it is growing in size or becomes painful at some time, you may need to see a pediatric surgeon and take his opinion. If it is regressing as compared to the body growth, it will probably disappear as the baby grows. Spontaneous resolution may not happen if the size of hernia is more than 2 cm. There is some association between umbilical hernia and congenital hypothyroidism. Thus I would advise you to get his thyroid profile done after consultation with his doctor. Apart from the above approach, there is no medicine available that will help. give him clean water and hygienic food. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee
People also viewed
- Suggest treatment for umbilical hernia
- Umbilical hernia ayurvedic treatment
- Umbilical hernia treatments
- Could i be pregnant after sex when on ipill
- Is severe or continuing stomach pain a side effect of imitrex?
- Is severe or continuing stomach pain a side effect of zaleplon?
- Is gas with abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of humira?
- Is gaseous abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of actemra?
- What are the symptoms of umbilical hernia?
- Will taking glycomet help me loose weight
- My father#39s creatine level is 17 is it too high
- What causes continuous light headedness and shortness of breath
- Treatment and cure for Umbilical hernia
- Is gaseous abdominal or stomach pain a side effect of tramadol?
- Is it ok to masturbate even after marriage