What are the various treatment options for ruptured eardrum?

ENT Specialist
hi my father has 2 or 3 wholes in one of his ears. it's been a few years that he has had them. according to him his family doctor says that he needs a surgery. he doesn't like to go ahead with the surgery, does he have other options? is there any other treatment? thanks bye I think in medical terms is called a "Ruptured Eardrum" in English. anyways is surgery his only option? he has them for a few years. it's been a few months that he has moved back in with us and I think he's experiencing hearing loss.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 8 days later
Brief Answer: surgery not a must. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, There are 2 types of holes in the ear drum 1) Safe hole 2) Unsafe hole. Your ENT will be able to tell you which type he has. If the hole is unsafe then suregry is usually indicated since complications can occur if left alone. If the hole is safe then surgery is not a must. Now about hearing loss - If there has been no discharge from the ear for a long time and the ear is dry then he can opt for a hearing aid. You can ask your ENT for the same. He will require an audiogram to know the type and degree of hearing loss after which he can take a hearing aid trial. Till then he should keep his ears dry and not let water get inside the ear. Feel free to follow up, Dr Rajkishori