What are the upcoming complications in pregnancy with bulky uterus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
My uterus is slightly bulky (9.5 * 6.67 * 5.97 ) cm approx. endometrium thickness = 8.9 mm. a well defined heterogenous echotextural intramural -> sebserous fibroid (6.18 *6.03 cm approx). arising from posterior wall in fundus region. it does not indents or obliterate the uterine cavity. I am planing to have a baby. is there going to be a problem in concieving? if I conceive then would there be any complicacies.?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NO PROBLEM IN CONCEIVING. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) SUBSEROUS Fibroid is the 2nd most common type (15%) of uterine fibroids after Intramural. It is located underneath the peritoneal surface of the uterus and away from the endometrium lining. It will NEITHER create any problem in conceiving NOR cause MISCARRIAGE after conception. It is NOT harmful for growing baby also. So, you wouldn't be worried much regarding this if your cycle is regular with normal bleeding. 2) Complication of large fibroid includes RED DEGENERATION (changes of fibroid secondary to venous thrombosis within the periphery of the tumor) and ACUTE ABDOMINAL PAIN in 2nd trimester of pregnancy. Anti-spasmodic medication can be given as treatment protocol. 3) It is recommended that you must avoid heavy work, long journey, lifting heavy objects, too much bending during pregnancy period and take adequate bed rest. You must consult with your GYNECOLOGIST for clinical examination and follow advices before planning to pregnancy. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: What are the upcoming complications in pregnancy with bulky uterus? 30 minutes later
will my type and size of fibroid have the red degeneration in second trimester? what are the symptoms of red degeration apart from abdominal pain As for the tumor I have never had any abdominal pain during or after periods.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) It is commonly seen that Subserous fibroid can lead to Red degeneration in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. However, it can't be predicted from earlier and there is NO 100% outcome result as RED Degeneration. Here, you need to to undergo periodic ultrasound scan during pregnancy period to check the status of fibroid. 2) If fibroid leads to RED DEGENERATION, then acute abdominal pain is the main feature and nothing else. Most of them remain asymptomatic. Otherwise, it is NOT much complicated during pregnancy period. Anti-spasmodic drug is given as treatment protocol. Kindly, consult with gynecologist for complete evaluation. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen