What are the underlying causes for losing sensation in index finger after an injury?

Infertility Specialist
I have no feeling in my index finger 360 degrees to to bottom, the injury is less than24 hours old from stabbing myself with a steak knife while coring out an avocado. The point of entry is between the thumb and index finger on the left hand, a little closer to the thumb, but the thumb has full feeling and all fingers have range of motion. Should I go to the ER? I am not sure what they would do besides tell me to keep the wound clean (which it is) and see an orthopedic hand surgeon in the future.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: get examined Detailed Answer: Hi, the los sensations of sensation is due to cutting of nerves in fingers. The exact location of cut nerves injured needs to be examined besides cleaning and dressing. Hence please go to ER. I Presume the sensation will return soon when nerves heal during regeneration and growth of nerves. Hence I would like you go to ER and get nerve damage assessment done. Regards. Dr. Mahesh Koregol