What are the underlying causes for having bleeding from sinus area down to throat?

ENT Specialist
I have had this about 4 times in the last 6 months. I have been bleeding from the sinus area and blood has been running down my throat which I cough up. Some times it is more red like fresh bleeding and other times then is clouted like. I do not use illegal drugs and I have never smoked or used tobacco. I think it started after I had a colon oscopy, from the O2 I had when I went under anesthesia. What do you think I should do.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: BP monitoring, ENT examination done Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The bleeding which you are describing trickling down the throat is usually from the nose and sinuses. Most common cause of such a bleeding from the nose is hypertension. You have written in your medical history only diabetes, so I suppose you are not hypertensive. Colonoscopy is usually done under intra venous infusion of anaesthetics and a nasal tracheal tube is not passed for that. So, colonoscopy may not be related to the bleeding. The other causes of bleeding from nose are scab formation, deviated nasal septum, prominent blood vessels, various masses in the nose, systemic diseases and coagulation disorders. Please consult your GP for a regular monitoring of blood pressure. If it is normal, please consult an ENT for a complete nasal examination which may involve endoscopic examination if required. Meanwhile please use lubricating ointment in throat and take vitamin C for few days. I problem persists, follow the above measures. Feel free to ask another query. Regards