What are the underlying causes for having a bad taste in mouth?

ENT Specialist
Question
HI...THANK YOU! I HAVE A BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH. ESPECIALLY UPON RISING. IT SMELLS AND TASTES LIKE GOLL WHEN I THROW UP. ANY ADVICE? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Reflux, PND, Mouth Breathing, Dehydration Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The most common reasons for these symptoms are: a. Acid or Bile Reflux. b. A Post Nasal Drip (PND). c. Mouth Breathing. 2. Request your doctor to start an anti-reflux medication. Get your nose and sinuses checked. Check if you have a coated tongue. Get an Abdominal Ultrasound done since you have N.A.S.H. Get a Sleep Study done. 3. A medicated gargle and steam inhalation may help. Raise the head end of your bed by 3-4 inches. Avoid eating 3-4 hours before lying down or sleeping. Use a tongue cleaner and keep yourself well hydrated. I must emphasize that this is a common problem and not a cause for worry. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.