What are the underlying causes for black bracelets around ankles and aching knee?

hello ,, my legs are aching from knees down, Jumpy and painful. I undressed and noticed that I have what looks like black bracelets around both ankles. It they are both swollen,,I work long hours and maybe have been standing for 16- 18 hours today. I am well overweight 250 pound female at 5ft 5..I am 48 years old.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Venous stasis but rule out other causes Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The most common cause, amongst all population, particularly women and those with overweight/obesity is venous stasis, meaning decreased return from the blood of the veins in the legs due to progressive impairment of their "pumping function"; many times dilated veins or varices are evident.Your history of being on your feet for extensive periods of time is very common with this. Weight loss, gradual exercise, graded compression stockings and leg elevations are very affective at relieving the symptoms; nevertheless, I believe the most prudent course of action is for you to be seen by a provider, who can also rule out other 3 major causes of leg swelling: heart failure, liver failure or kidney failure. Hope this is helpful, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Cardiology Mayo Clinic MN