What are the underlying causes for abdominal pain and mild back pain with increased vaginal discharge?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I am a 20 year old female. Im having dull abdominal pain about three inches below my belly button. I have some mild back pain and lately what seems to be an increase in vaginal discharge ( mostly clear sometimes white). I get nauseous at times and it seems to bother me most at night. I have been waking up 2 to 3 times as of late because of the pain and to urinate. (It seems like i have been having to urinate more frequently.) I have been dealing with this for about two and a half months on and off. I will feel better for a while and the it will get worse again. Now it is a constant dull, ache, with an occasional increase in pain. I will feel worse at times after a meal but that doesn't seem to be triggering it and arousal seems to make it worse. I feel better when I lay in a fetal position, with my legs to my chest; laying flat feels uncomfortable. My BMs are normal for the most part. I suspect a problem with my female organs or some kind of intestinal problem? Any ideas. I don't have insurance until the end of the month so if I knew how serious the problem is that would help me to know how pertinent it is for me to go in.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urinary tract infection. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. All your symptoms are caused by urinary tract infection (bladder infection). Due to bacteria presence in the urine, you get frequent urinating, lower abdominal pain, back pain (where the kidneys are located) and nausea. There may be blood trace in the urine. As your infection keeps recurring, you wont get rid of it without antibiotics. To determine which antibiotic is necessary, urine culture test is necessary. Please note that untreated urinary tract infection can lead to serious kidneys damage. In a meanwhile please also drink plenty of mineral water, urinate more often (do not hold the urine for too long), start cranberries supplementation. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the underlying causes for abdominal pain and mild back pain with increased vaginal discharge? 47 minutes later
I guess I nevertheless considered having a UTI because I don't have any burning with urination or cloudy/ bloody urine. I do wake up at night and sometimes go to the bathroom, but I also drink a lot of water before bed. I have always urinated a lot also; it just seems to have increased a little. I am a little confused by this diagnosis for these reasons. Do you still feel that it is likely? p.s. I also recently did an upper abdominal ultrasound and my results for my kidneys came back fine.n

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: With uti (and any other disease) not all symptoms are present. Every person is different and every case is different. So lack of burning does not rule uti out. And either lack of frequent urinating. Back pain and lower abdominal pain is very characteristic symptom for uti. Please try to knock your left kidney area and right kidney area. This symptom allows to determine either the kidneys are affected or not. Ultrasound can not diagnose uti. It may only tell something about possible kidney degeneration for example. But inflammation is not visible in ultrasound. So in conclusion, uti is still most probable. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the underlying causes for abdominal pain and mild back pain with increased vaginal discharge? 18 minutes later
Do ou mean press on my kidneys on my back? i was getting a back massage the other day, and pressure to that area gave me instant abdominal pain and nauseu, so that does make some sense.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: No, I mean knock. Please see this sign: WWW.WWWW.WW Hope this will help. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the underlying causes for abdominal pain and mild back pain with increased vaginal discharge? 8 hours later
Thank you for the details I will have someone try yhat on me. Quick question though: I just randamly fainted while going up the stairs (for not more than a couole seconds. My head is now hurting a little. Is this a cause for concern.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: This could be just a blood pressure drop. It may happen with an infection present. This should force you to visit a doctor and do not wait any longer. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the underlying causes for abdominal pain and mild back pain with increased vaginal discharge? 6 hours later
Hi, I feel much better today. I had my mother knock both of my kidneys. And when she knocked my right kidney it was very painful and I almost felt nauseous right away. My abdominal pain is much worse than my back pain though. Usually when I hear about kidney infections they normally create back pain. I also had her knock on the same side on my abdomen instead of my back and it hurt. I had her do it all through my middle lower abdomen and that hurt too.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Hello! It just confirms urinary tract infection with kidney inflammation. Please note that the ureter can create same pain in the same side of abdomen than affected kidney. Lower abdomen is where bladder is located. So all this things seems to be caused by same infection. Regards.