What are the types of fat one must consume?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Please tell me in simple words which are all the fats to be consumes. Please do not tell me in terms of saturated or unsaturated . I request answersinterms of like ghee, coconut oil etc.. Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 4 hours later

Thanks for your Query.

I realize by now you know that polyunsaturated fatty acids are healthy compared to mono and unsaturated fatty acids and I appreciate your concern to know about dietary fats that are healthier.

Any dietary products contain all form of fats; the proportion is what that varies. In simple terms, fats which are solid at room temperature are bad for health as they contain more of mono/unsaturated fats, where as fats which are liquids are not harmful. Hence industrial oils prepared from vegetable sources such as sunflower, walnut, peanut/groundnut, sesame, olive oil are healthier and fats from animal origin such as butter, ghee, cheese are to be avoided.

Further vegetable oils are more preferred in combination in required amounts - Only half a litre of oil to be used per person per month, say it any type of vegetable oil. Combination of vegetable oil like groundnut & sunflower; ricebran & safflower oil are also available readily in the form of blended oils.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.