What are the types of HIV and tests for HIV ?

had a physical interaction with a CSW in Singapore.. I was wearing my shorts without underpants. She was on top of me and she rubbed her private parts with my penis (with my shorts on and no underpants) and she had a release on my shorts. I can confirm there was no direct genital conatct with her. She was naked and i had naked upper body, During this she rubbed her upper body against mine
Then had protected vaginal sex Basically she gave me a blow job with my condom on the penis and then when i had put my penis into the vagina, i had put double condoms. Basically when I removed my penis one time, the condom came out before I put it again inside, Then I did not put it inside till I put a new condom in. Between this period I believe my penis tip would have brushed aside (just a split second) her vaginal outside portion (not inner walls). But I can confirm that I had put a new condom before entering her again.
Also i did dry kiss her private parts once or twice and her lips as well.

What are my chances?
When can I do a PCR test? Is there any place in Bangalore where I can do this?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 17 minutes later
Hello Sanjai,

First and foremost, You need to know that Sex with every person does not cause HIV (even in case of sex workers, she has to be infected before she can pass it on to you).

Even in case a person has sex with a infected person, the chances of contracting the infection would be as follows.
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and ‎
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act. ‎
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

Sexual intercourse with sex-workers does increase the risk of HIV infection. The description of the ‎sexual act, does indicate that you DO NOT have significant risk of HIV infection. ‎

Since you had the sense to use proper protection during both the Fellatio (reffered in common terms as Blowjob) as well as during the penetrative intercourse, the risk of infection is further reduced.

Hence I would not worry about the possibility of infection.

In case you are still anxious and want to be double sure about your status, you can go ahead and get tested.

The earliest test - that can be taken to detect HIV infection is the PCR proviral DNA test. This test can detect the HIV ‎DNA within 15-21 days of the infection.‎ I would recommend you to do the test after 3 weeks post exposure, to avoid retesting.

The sensitivity of the test is 100% and is very accurate test.

The alternative would be a HIV combo test (HIV antibody + P24 antigen assay) after 4 -6 weeks after ‎exposure might be very useful.

The best time to do a ELISA test for HIV antibodies is after 4 weeks of exposure. 90% of normal ‎individuals who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test ‎is 99.9%. ‎

If a test once done after 12 weeks of exposure - is NEGATIVE, the chances of developing antibodies to ‎HIV at a later date will be negligible. Hence there is no need to repeat the test again. ‎

The tests can be done at : -
47, Millers Road, Millers Road
Bengaluru, Karnataka 0000, India
080 0000

I hope this helps to clear your doubts. In case any more doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: What are the types of HIV and tests for HIV ? 14 hours later
Thank You Dr Anvekar.

Is there any other ailments that I need to be on the look out for like herpes or any other that comes to your mind.

Also do I need doctor referral for any of the mentioned tests above

Is the window for testing any other ailments similar or they are different.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later
Hello Again Sanjai,

Welcome back,

Since the sexual encounter was satisfactorily protected for all accounts, there is no need to be worried about.

But to relieve your anxiety and have peace of mind you might get the tests for
1. Syphilis (VDRL)
2. Serology for HERPES viruses. (Antibody tests - for HSV1 and HSV 2).

These tests can be done at the same time, as mentioned as for HIV TESTS, that is at 4 weeks.

The tests are available at the the Lab I have mentioned before. The tests can be done on personal request as well. There is no need for a prescription.

I hope this helps.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: What are the types of HIV and tests for HIV ? 20 days later
Dear Doctor Anvekar,

The interaction as described above happened on 20th August early morning between 1 AM and 3 AM Singapore time (10.30 PM to 12.30 PM IST).
I went to Manipal Hospital in Bangalore on 08th September and did two tests:

1. Western Blot

Both came out to be ok. Now if I count the no of days from the date of interaction it is 20 days approximately from the time of the interaction.

Is it a sufficient time frame for the PCR to be done?

Also i have not seen any lesions for HSV up until now, do you think I need to go for the HSV test?

Kindly respond. I also wish to thank you for your time and help during this period.
Thanks and Wishing you all the best.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the time gap is sufficient for a PCR to give results to be relied on.

If no lesions till now , as in case of HSV one could experience viral fever symptoms and lesions most of times within 3 weeks of exposure.I see you have no reason to worry from now.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What are the types of HIV and tests for HIV ? 2 days later
Dear Doctor Anvekar,

Thank You for your response. Permit me to ask a couple of follow up questions. Kindly excuse me for asking lot of clarifications.

1. Western Blot report indicated the status for Type 1 and Type 2 , however the PCR report talks about Type 1 RNA/DNA status report. Is this correct? Do we not do a PCR for the Type 2.

2. Please excuse for asking this one: I have read somewhere that PCR tests are supplementary tests to the normal tests after the 3 month period and that the PCR has to be followed up with the reglular 3 month test for conclusion. Kindly help me clarify. if that is the case.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 7 hours later
Hello Sanjai,

You have asked a very good question. I appreciate your concern.

You are right in speaking about the western blot test for both HIV type 1 and 2. You also say me that PCR mentions only about HIV 1.

One thing I want you to know here is that, worldwide the occurrence of HIV type 2 is concentrated more in western Africa and is rarely seen elsewhere.

In spite of this, If you are keen on getting yourself tested for HIV PCR type 2, you can as well go ahead and get this test done also.

Regarding your second query, as I had already mentioned in my previous answers, PCR is the most accurate test and 100% sensitive. It infact rules out all the possibilities of having contracted HIV. It is definitely not a supplementary test. I must say that PCR is the diagnostic and confirmatory test for HIV.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Follow-up: What are the types of HIV and tests for HIV ? 16 hours later
Dear Doctor Anvekar,
Thank You Once Again.

When I signed the consent form at Manipal, it only mentioned PCR test. I found the type when I saw the XXXXXXX and the report. I have infact spent some money to perform both these tests.

I would therefore rely on your opinion to do the PCR again. Would you think it is absolutely necessary to do it?

Thank You for clarifying on the second point. I appreciate all your suggestions and support. I wish you well in future

All the best
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello Sanjai,

I would simply reassure you that you are "HIV - negative".

It is absolutely not required of you to do the test for HIV 2.If you are keen on getting yourself tested for HIV PCR type 2, you can as go ahead .

Please do not worry anymore about HIV.

Wishing you a healthy life.