What are the treatments for an Arthus reaction to bee stings? Used anti-histamines, topical cortisone and NSAIDS

What are the treatments for an Arthus rxn to bee stings? I have had this happen in prior instances, but this is on the back of my right hand and is driving me up the wall. I've tried the usual anti-histamines, topical cortisone creams, NSAIDS, and even some jewelweed oil I keep for poison ivy exposure. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 3 hours later

I have read your query; Type III reactions are often called immune complex diseases, and include Arthus reaction. Arthus type of reaction becomes apparent 8-12 hours after a sting and could persist for two to three days. It is associated with an excess of precipitins and often causes tissue damage, blistering and bruising.

The management of systemic manifestations of bee sting is usually supportive because of the non-availability of any specific antivenin. Treatment is entirely dependent on symptoms produced.

The mainstay of bee sting treatment is actually protective measures to prevent bee stings, especially if patients are known to have allergic reactions.

If you've had a serious reaction to a bee sting or you've been swarmed by bees, your doctor will likely refer you to an allergy specialist (allergist) for allergy shots (immunotherapy). These shots are generally given on a regular basis for a few years and can reduce or eliminate your allergic response to bee venom.

Hope I have been of help.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.