What are the treatment available for lipoma?

My Name is XXXXXXX. My query is with regards to LIPOMA.

I have relaised that I am suffering from LIPOMA. I would like to know the process of treatment for the same.

Thank You
Best Regards
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Based on what you have stated it is difficult to make any comment as you have not mentioned the site and duration of Lipoma that you have. Please revert back so as to make me any suggestion. Lipoma is considered benign tumor.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Lipomas are benign lesions underneath skin that are due to collection of fat cells in a sac. The tendency to have them is hereditary. These lesions might grow in size over a period of time, may rarely get inflammed or infected but they are not at all
"Cancerous". One can have a single lesion or sometimes multiple lesion over face, forearms, arms, thighs or torso.

Treatment is usually required if they are
Large in size
Affects mobility
Get painful, inflammed or infected
Cosmetically displeasing.

Treatment is basically surgical
1) surgical excision- skin over the lesion is incised and the whole lipoma along with its capsule and fat cells is removed. Later on skin incision is closed by sutures. Incision required is a long linear incision and so cosmetically results are not good as suture marks are seen.
2) narrow hole extrusion technique- preferred by dermatologists. A small 5 mm hole is made through a skin punch and the whole lipoma content is extruded through this hole followed by suturing of the skin. Results are cosmetically better as incision is small and usually one or two sutures are required to close the hole.

Both these procedures are small time procedures or day time procedures, with no hospital admission required and usually no complication arises in post surgical period.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, feel free to write back to us again.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: What are the treatment available for lipoma? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. Kalpana,

Thank you very much for the instant response.

Above reply answers to all my questions, however is it possible to take an appointment with a doctor.

Please suggest a doctor in case any external need to be met.

I would prefer meeting specialists for Lipoma.

Thank You very much Doctor

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Lipomas are quite common lesions and any general surgeon would remove it. However as far as our field is concerned, dermatologists with avid interest in surgical procedures do it. You can even contact a plastic surgeon for its removal.

So you need to check for a surgeon/cosmetic or plastic surgeon/dermatosurgeon in your area and book an appointment.

Lipoma excision is a minor surgical procedure with no preparations as such required either from the patient's side or the doctor's side.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.