What are the treatment available for PCOD?

My friend has a Polycystic Ovaries. Could you tell me what can be done as a cure? How would it affect her? And what can be the causes of the same?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 19 hours later

Welcome and thanks for the query

PCOD is an endocrine condition in which there is high LH/FSH ratio,increased androgen production and high oestrone levels.It is usually associated with abnormal hair growth , obesity , menstrual disturbances and infertility.
Diagnosis is done by ultrasound , transvaginal , transabdominal or 3D and there should be at least 10-12 follicles 2-10 mm in diameter or increased ovarian volume.This is called 'pearl string appearance'.
Investigations which are done to diagnose PCOD are FSH , LH , Prolactin , DHEA's etc under doctor's guidance.
When BMI is more than 30 kg/m2 it is called obesity.
Treatment includes lifestyle modification in which weight reduction and diet plays an important role.
Metformin drug is widely used for the treatment of PCOD but should not be taken without doctor's guidance.
Low dose oral contarceptives and progesterone are also given for menstrual irregularities.
ovulation induction drugs are given for infertility.
Some doctor's prefer laparoscopic ovarian drilling but chances of adhesions are there.
For hirsuitism laser , waxing or chemical depilation can be done.
To conclude , PCOD is a very common metabolic disorder these days and is due to western life style and inactivity , can be controlled with proper food , exercise , medical and surgical treatment under doctor's guidance.
Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome
Follow-up: What are the treatment available for PCOD? 5 hours later
She took 56 days before her period came and have still not stopped. Hence we did go to XXXXXXX Dr XXXXXXX of Cradle hospital. She told her there's nothing to worry now, after going through Scan and Blood results. However told her to XXXXXXX her next time, similar issue re occurs. Are there any special care that can be done in such cases? Any diet or exercise or something you would advise?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 days later

Welcome once again

Delayed and irregular periods are due to PCOD.
Diet plays an important role in PCOD , she should have less of fried food , more of green vegetables and fruits.Salt intake should also be restricted.Regular morning walks are advised.Yoga helps a lot in reducing the weight.You can consult your doctor as advised by me in my previous answer.

Best wishes once again