What are the three spots on my right foot that does not hurt or itch ?

Hello, I am a 41 year old white male. 6' 0" tall and I weigh 205 pounds, medium build. About 6 to 8 months ago I noticed three spots on my right foot just below my ankle, they are all three about the size of a half dollar. The thing is they have now started all over the back of my right leg from the knee down, it almost looks like rust under my skin. It does not itch, it's not bothersome and without seeing it I don't even know it's there. You can't even feel it but it is just under the skin. About a month ago it started on my left leg just below my knee. Please help. Like I had stated it doesn't bother me but it doesn't look right. Thanks in advance for your input and help.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Rust colored spots appearing on your legs can be due to many reasons.
I would like to know some more details on your problem to be specific in my opinion , like-
1)Is there any history of exposure to any new substance or cosmetic procedure?
2)Are you taking any pills for general well being or health supplements?
3)Are there any prominent veins seen or calf pain?

Your answers will help me to suggest a better opinion with regards to your problem.

Please send me a photo of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Rakhi Tayal” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.
Please do not forget to reply back here once you mail the picture or reports , so that I can view it as a follow up and answer your query here.

Anticipating your response

Follow-up: What are the three spots on my right foot that does not hurt or itch ? 1 hour later
OK Thank you,
1. No there is not any exposure to a new substance and no not any new cosmetic procedures.
2. I do take Whole food vitamins and I have been taking the same ones for over 5 years now and have never had any problems with them. I take three a day all at the same time after breakfast every morning.
3. No veins what-so-ever shown visiably anywhere on my body and definitley not anywhere on my legs or ankle area.

As far as taking a picture: could I possibly send it to your phone from my phone as I am currently on a lay-over and do not have my camera with me.....if there was a way I could take it maybe with my phone and send it to you then I could do that right now. Just let me know please and once again thank you so much for your help. XXXXXXX HARDIN
Follow-up: What are the three spots on my right foot that does not hurt or itch ? 7 minutes later
I just figured out how I can send you the pictures via email from my phone.....I will email them to you shortly. THANKS
Follow-up: What are the three spots on my right foot that does not hurt or itch ? 17 minutes later
OK I just emailed you three different pictures. Thanks and let me know what you think.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later

Thanks for writing again.
From the description and the pictures, it seems to be capillaritis or progressive pigmented purpuric dermatitis. It is a chronic discoloration of the skin which usually affects the legs and often spreads slowly. This disease is more common in males.
Usually no treatment is needed as there are no symptoms.
You can discuss about the ways to control its further spread with your dermatologist.
The only thing that can help you is a cortisone ointment applied locally.
Get your coagulation profile checked to detect any coagulation or platelet related defects.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.