What are the tests to be taken for irregular periods?

Mar 2013
I got my last periods in November 2013 for 2 times, one on 10th & second on 18 of same month, but after that till date i havent got my periods, I consulted the gynaec on 1.1.2014, she had urine test and sonography which both were negative She then prescribed me Meprate 10 (3time a days) for 3 three days and said that my period will be arrived on 4th day, if not than i should visit her. On 4th day i had no period so i once again went for consultation she again had sonography but the report was negative she told me to wait till 13.1.2014 and if i get period its ok and if not than to visit her again, as on 13th also i had no periods so i visited her and she again had my urine and sonography test which were negative. She then have prescribed me Mumfer-XT for 10 days and PantinRd to take before 1/2 hr of meal and after lunch to take Duoluton L (2 time for 5 days). Please let me know the reason. Do i have to check for fibroid/cyst or thyroid test. Please let me know.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us wtih your health concern. Yes, you should be investigated for the irregular cycles. Firstly go for a thorough internal examination - per vaginum and per speculum. Then, please go for a pelvic ultrasound scan, this should be done transvaginally and not abdominally. If this was not done, please repeat the sonography. Also, get hormonal levels measured - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, free testosterone, Fasting insulin, Lipid Profile. Pregnancy should be reliably excluded by a pregnancy test. COnditions like stress, anxiety, tensions, weight gain, changes in sleep or eating habits, travelling , change in climate or altitude, ingestion of hormonal medications - all these could be other potential reasons. Abnormalities of thyroid hormones and polycystic ovarian syndrome ( PCOS ) - these are two other probable reasons. Please have an evaluation as outlined . All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What are the tests to be taken for irregular periods? 2 minutes later
I am married and have one son he is nine years. I had 3 abortion after that and after ward had inserted coper-T for one year and then removed the same. know taking i-pills after unsafe sex.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello This could be the main reason for irregular cycles. Taking I pill frequently and casually will result in irregular periods. Also, taken that way, it is not at all effective as a method of contraception You expose yourself to risk of unnecessary pregnancies and repeated abortions.