What are the tests to be taken before scheduling a hysterectomy and oopherectomy?

Mar 2016

I see the GYN Oncologist for my first visit this upcoming Monday. I would like suggestions from other professionals as to what questions I should be sure to ask. Also - I am expecting that I will need to have a hysterectomy and oopherectomy. What exams/procedures should I expect to have prior? Thank you for your response.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. 1) On 1st visit to your GYN Oncologist, you can ask the following questions for more elaboration of your current condition including tests and operation procedure. a) How much risk is there for bulky uterus and ovarian cyst to transform into cancer in case of positive family history? b) What will happen if I don’t have any treatments? Will my condition progress or threaten my life? Will my symptoms go away naturally with menopause? c) Is surgery my only option? What other medical or non-surgical treatments or hysterectomy alternatives might be tried before any type of surgery? d) If I need a hysterectomy, what type of hysterectomy (total or partial) are you recommending? Method of surgery- Abdominal, Laparoscopic or Robotic ? e) What level of pain, length of hospital staying and recovery period might I experience with the recommended surgery? f) What will be my next treatment plan soon after surgical menopause through hysterectomy and Oophorectomy? g) When can I get back to exercise or day to day activities? Sexual intercourse? Travel etc? 2) The following exams/ procedures need to be carried out prior to Hysterectomy. a) Physical examination to determine overall health status with recording BP and blood sugar. Immunization with 2 doses of Tetanus Toxoid may be required. b) Pelvic exam with Speculum or Colposcope, Pap smear & HPV test, Ca-125 and one endometrial tissue biopsy (seen under microscope). c) Routine Blood tests including Coagulation profile, HIV 1 & 2 and Urine tests. Pulmonary Function Test (PFT), Liver Function Test (LFT) and Renal Function Test (RFT) may be needed. d) Preoperative meeting with the Gynecologist/ Surgeon to discuss the procedure and receive pre-surgery instructions. e) Preoperative meeting with Anesthesiologist to discuss the type of anesthesia that will be used during the procedure. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW