What are the tests done for Immunodeficiency?

What is type of testing is done for Immunodeficiency ... I haven't been able to find a site that has given me the best of answers yet ... or not ask the right question .. not sure which :) Thank you :)
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: different possible tests Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic There are different types and causes of immunodeficiency. There are different aspects to the immune system. Infections are fought by the white blood cells but there are different types of white blood cells , each involved in varied aspects of protecting the body. LABS: (1)a complete blood count with a differential (this means show the breakdown of the white cell count)- this would include the white cell count. In immunodeficiency the white cell count would be decreased. As mentioned there are different types of white cell seen on testing (lymphocytes, neutrophils, basophils, eosinophils). The differential would show how approximately much of each of these are present , this would help pick out which part of the immune system was defective. (2) there are specific tests that can determine the accurate levels of specific parts of the immune system- serum immunoglobulin levels (3) a peripheral smear of blood- this involves looking at a sample of blood on a slide. It allows the lab tech to take a direct look at the blood components to see if they look abnormal (4)complement levels- these are proteins that work in the blood along with the other part of the immune system. Deficiency in these can cause immunodeficiency. Summary: complete white cell count, immunoglobulin levels, peripheral smear and complement levels. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What are the tests done for Immunodeficiency? 28 minutes later
Thank you ... I have been searching for info for the last week to find out what exactly the testing would be. Your answer has been the best and much easier to understand. :) So I have done the blood testing already. And waiting for the results. What would the next step be if they have determined that this is what I have. I did notice that there are a couple of different types or severities. ?? Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: different treatment options Detailed Answer: Hi The treatment would vary slightly according to the immunodeficiency present, in general however, it would be important to be appropriately immunised and avoid contact with persons with infections if possible. Early start of antibiotics when infections occur would also be important. Deficiency in immunoglobulins would be treated by replacement therapy. Complement deficiency- there is no specific treatment but during any emergency situation fresh frozen plasma (blood) is given Bone marrow transplantation may be suggested for T lymphocyte deficiency. Gene therapy is also an option for some persons. This involves checking for any abnormal genes and inserting normal ones to see if it has an effect. Please feel free to ask any additional questions