What are the symptons of too much iron?

What are the symptons of too much iron?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 58 minutes later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help with your query.

As you have said that you want to know the symptoms of high iron ( ferritin ) in body.

I don't have any other information , even your age , male or female .

Any how high iron in body is a disease known as heamochromatosis , it can be primary or secondary.

In primary heamochromatosis , a genetic family reason , a gene is defective , which should be causing stopping of iron absorption from intestines , when blood iron content is high , so that person keeps on absorbing high iron every day , can occur in you adults , or middle aged people.

In secondary heamochromatosis , usually a disease after birth , due to increased blood destruction , releasing iron in the body , liver failure , chronic ailments ( cancers , heart failure etc ).

Symptoms of primary are mostly joint pain ( hand fingers pain/ knee pain ) , change in skin colour ( greyish black tinge not colour ) , increased thirst , frequent urination , shortness of breath , lethargic , low mood , decreased appetite.

Secondary causes are usually hidden under the main cause like , you may be having sickle cell symptoms like headache , diabetes water in abdomen etc and secondary heamachromatosis is hidden under the main cause.

Just get a test of serum ferritin , TIBC total iron binding capacity , transferrin saturation , and that tension will be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any further questions , take care.