What are the symptoms of severe stress ?

Hi I have severe stress at work as owner. I am feeling very lethargic and have symptoms like sweaty hands feet, thristy, headaches, ear ringing. The major thing is in meetng today i could not concentrate and at times speaking seems like a chore. can this all be caused ny stress, do i need to be checked for somehting more severe?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Stress is a very powerful emotion. The mind and body connection which we only understand very little about can really significantly affect your daily function. As you have reported you are under a significant degree of stress. I imagine there may be some component of anxiety as well because of these two emotions tend to be very well connected. Regarding the symptoms you report including the sweaty hands and feet and headaches as well as ringing in the ears this could all be connected to your stress. I really do not think there is any medical syndrome going on.

Sometimes when stress and anxiety start to affect the way we operate and live our lives we have to consider the possibility of medication. There are several different medications which are obtained through a prescription which may truly benefit you. There are a number of fees and in your situation I would consider Zoloft as probably the most potentially effective. There are other medications including Celexa and Prozac which could also help but I really think the Zoloft would be the best choice.

I have some other recommendations as well. First of all is it is extremely important that you get plenty of exercise. You need to exercise at least four or five days per week for at least 30 min. at a time. This will significantly affect the ability that you have to handle stress. It will also help decrease anxiety and any feelings of depression. In addition it is extremely important that you get an adequate amount of sleep. At least seven or eight hours of sleep is necessary for you to optimally function. Finally relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation may really benefit you. If you have some friends who can provide you with some advice regarding certain techniques I think this would be a great idea. Otherwise you can use the Internet to look for good potential sources.
Regarding the medications I don't think that you need this 100% but it is certainly a consideration. You could try the lifestyle modifications first and see how you do. If those do not work then I think medication needs to be strongly considered. Also these medications can be given for a few months at a time and then safely discontinued XXXXXXX anxiety level improves.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have any additional follow-up concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert.