What are the symptoms of pre menopause?

I am upset because I went to a male obgyn for my fibroids and cysts. He examined me less than two minutes and told me that there was nothing wrong me with me and that I had menopause. I told him that in order for that to occurred you need to have completely missed the period for a whole year. Than he said that it pre menopause. I am sorry I have never missed a period. I did have heavy bleading for 3 days. What would you recommend me doing. I wanted to see if in the next few months my period is the same than is not. please advice
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Watch carefully your periods and warning/alarm signs for menopause Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid it could be difficult to conclude one has menopause if the person is still bleeding. It might however be important to note of the quantity of menstrual flow has decreased, or the number days you normally bleed has changed over time. Menopause is usually a gradual process in most women. They go through some signs before menopause proper sets in, these signs are called premenopausal signs. These could include reduced quantity and frequency of menstrual flow, missed periods, hot flashes, burning sensations in body, dry and irritated vagina, and at times pain during penetration in sexual intercourse. Few women get into menopause without experiencing any of these. In your case, your periods are still regular and you have never missed a period. In case, you have experienced any of the above cited symptoms, in might be very difficult to conclude that you got menopause. Diagnosis is mainly clinical and blood tests are rarely needed. I strongly suggest as you mentioned, you watch carefully your periods , and also check for the warning or alarming signs for menopause as described earlier. I am afraid it is difficult to conclude from your description this should be menopause. Sta calm and very watchful. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. I would be glad to make my humble suggestions. DR Bain