What are the symptoms of osteoporosis?

I am 53 yrs. old and postmenepausal with a genetic predisposition to osteoporosis. I have had bone breakage in my foot and a fractured pelvis with no apparent cause. I'm told that my bone scans are normal. Is there a doctor that specializes in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis that I can consult about my condition as thus far I have not been able to get any explanation for the bone breakage. P.S. it was a year since my diagnosis in December of 2012 and my pelvis has still not completely healed?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that I dont know by bone scan do you mean DEXA scan that is done . Anyways one thing I will recommend you is to get your thyroid levels checked because it can also lead to early osteoporosis . Secondly you didnt tell whether you are post menopausal or not . because after menopause the incidence of fracture increases . Get your metabolic profile done Serum calcium , phosphorus , Vitamin D levels . Their deficiency also results in increased tendency of fractures . It will be good enough if you kindly tell me the Dexa scan reports so that we can discuss the treatment options . Take care. Dr. Shruti