What are the symptoms of liver failure?

Could you give me the pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, complications and treatments for the following diseases in layman's terms? 1. Past medical history: Heart surgey at age 1 for valve repair Diagnosis: Liver Failure 2. Diagnosis: Sub acute intestinal obstruction 3. Past medical history: a. Diverticulitis b. Gall stne c. Hiatus Hernia d. Prostate CA e. Glaucoma f. TIA Thank you. Hope to have a response as the soonest possible time.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 days later
Brief Answer: all details are below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I see that your query is on academic interest, and that the query is also answered for quite some time. Let me take a chance to help you. It would be difficult to explain the details of all the above conditions here. I will try my best. Please ask me any specific queries or doubts that you may have. Pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, complications and treatments: Liver failure: it occurs when the active liver cells are damaged. It happens due to various toxins, infections, alcohol, etc. Basic pathology will be that liver cells do not function normally, and hence the toxic metabolites are not broken down in the body. They accumulate in the liver, causing derangement of liver function. Complication - hepatic encepholopathy is a dreaded complication, patient will be in altered sensorium. You must see a case of this to understand the pity state of patient. It is horrible. Treatment, liver transplant is the ultimate treatment. Else, it is palliative. Sub acute intestinal obstruction: occurs due to obstruction of intestine anywhere, could be due to worms, stricture, growths, infections etc. Pathology is obstruction in the intestines, with retention of the intestinal contents, bloating of abdomen and pain. complications - septicemia and shock. Treatment - surgery. Diverticulitis - infection of the colon mostly. Gall stone - due to crystallization of cholesterol mostly. Hiatus Hernia - the stomach contents protruding through the diaphragm into the thorax, can cause breathing and digestion difficulty. Complication - respiratory distress. Treatment - surgery. Prostate CA - seen in men, due to advancing age. Serum PSA levels are done to assess the status. Treatment is prostatectomy. Glaucoma - painful eye condition with raised pressure inside the eyes. TIA - Transient Ischemic Attack - due to high blood pressure and stroke. Treatment is reduction of blood pressure. complication - paralysis of the limbs, etc. You could read in detail about all these conditions on 2 to 3 biggest online libraries. These would be Pubmed, Cochrane, and emedicine. Emedicine would be easier for you to understand. Wish you good health. Regards,