What are the symptoms of hip fracture?

General Surgeon
Question
Last Sunday, I fell about four feet and landed directly on my right hip on concrete. Although there is no swelling or bruising, there is intense, sharp aching in my groin on that side. When I fell, it took several minutes before I could move and the pain was so bad I couldn't even call out to others in the house for help. They heard the crash and found me. I needed assistance to get up. I'm a fifty year old male with limited mobility due to a chronic pain condition, (unrelated to the fall). Although I can put some weight on the leg, its agony to walk. There continues to be pain when at rest that is keeping me up at night. It seems like the pain is worse as the days pass. I don't want to go in to see a Dr. unless I have to. I have a $500 deductable and can't afford to pay that. Am I dealing with internal bruising that will get better with time, or is the possibility of a hip fracture great enough to have it seen? I can't have an MRI due to a peripheral never stimulator whose battery would give out with diagnostics that are magnetic.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: you need to get an x-ray and an orthopedics Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. I does looks like a hip fracture to me...and you do need to show to an orthopedics and get an x-ray of your hips...though a ct scan will be better if you can afford... they wont harm your pacemaker battery. U may see a different doctor in a different hospital if you are worried about your outstanding due... These tests are necessary to rule out fracture of neck of femur...as that needs to be repaired soon else the femur head may go for avascular necrosis... and treating that will be more costly... Hope that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, I will be glad to answer them. Get well soon Dr. Ashish Verma