What are the symptoms of Sinus and would taking Tylenol will help?

Can you tell me the symptoms of Sinus and would going to an ENT specialist help me or I can just take Tylenol. But Tylenol doesnt seem to help me
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sinusitis is inflammation of the sinuses. It can be caused by allergies to something or it can be related to an infection.
In the case of an infection- this can be viral, bacterial or fungal but viral and bacterial are more common than fungal infections.
Sinusitis normally occurs along with rhinitis which is inflammation of the nasal passages

Sinusitis and rhinitis cause the following symptoms:(1) headache and facial pain due to congestion of the sinuses
(2) sneezing
(3) nasal congestion and nasal discharge
(4) post nasal drip
(5) in the case of an infection there would also be fever
(6) cough- due to the post nasal drip

A person may not necessarily have all of these symptoms, only some may be present.

The tylenol would help the pain associated with sinusitis but for the other symptoms additional medication would be needed.

Most of these would be available over the counter. It would include a decongestant and a nasal spray.
Decongestants are often combined with the pain killer- there is a tylenol allergy that you can try which would have in tylenol along with a decongestant and an antihistamine.

Nasal sprays such as nasonex, nasocort , rhinocort would also help.

For the sinus congestion the use of a humidfier and the application of warm compresses to the face would also be helpful.

If the symptoms do not resolve with the above measures then you may need to see your GP. It may not be necessary to see a specialist immediately. The GP should be able to deal with your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions