What are the symptoms of Hepatitis B? HBV positive in blood test. Can I exercise?

Average

Gastroenterologist
Question
WHat are the fatigue symptoms for patients with Hepatitis B? Can they even exersice? I got a blood test today and the results came back positive for HBV. I went for furhter testing and results will be in tomorrow. I am a young (19) athletic male. I can still exercise and show no signs of fatigue (I run 2 miles daily) So i know my chances are 85-90% of me being immune. It has also been 6 months since i had sex, so it is most likely where i contracted the virus
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Hepatitis B infection can be without any symptoms. Fatigue is one of the symptoms but may not be there in all patients. Yes they can exercise, if their liver function tests are normal.

It is possible to get Hepatitis B infection through sex.

Hope the further tests done for you are encouraging.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: What are the symptoms of Hepatitis B? HBV positive in blood test. Can I exercise? 1 hour later
I beleive i contracted the virus six months ago, and since then, I have drank a lot of alcohol, but my liver is doing fine, is that an encouraging sign that I am HBsAb positive?

Dear XXXXXXX,

Combination of alcohol and Hepatitis B virus is not good for liver. each of these is harmful for liver and combination is worse. Since you are HBsAg positive you should certainly not take alcohol.

HBsAb positivity does not tell much. What we need to know is levels of AST/ALT (also called SGOT/SGPT) and HBV DNA PCR Quantitative reports. If your ASt / ALT levels are normal and HBV DNA is negative or low then that is good situation meaning that you are only a HBV carrier and risk of getting liver damage is low.

But I think you should see a hepatologist / gastroenterologist with your reports for further evaluation.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal