What are the symptoms and treatment of molluscum contagiosum?

Dermatologist
Question
Any ideas of what these white bumps could be
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: molluscum contagiosum Detailed Answer: Hello Thank for the query. These bumps are looking like molluscum contagiosum. It is a viral infection. I would like to know few additional points to come to a closer diagnosis. 1. Since when you have these lesions ? 2. Is there pain or any other symptoms in these lesions? 3. Do you have similar lesions anywhere else on body. Please answer the above so I could help you better. Thank you

Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment of molluscum contagiosum? 1 hour later
About 10 days. No there is no pain or any other symptoms associated with them. No other signs of them on the body I thought that molluscum has dimples in the bumps. Does it look like herpes or some other bumps?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Not herpes Detailed Answer: Hello Herpes manifests with water filled lesions. The lesions hardly stay for a day and rupture. There is also associated itching. Molluscum usually presents with dimpled lesions, but it can also present as a whitish bump. The most probable diagnosis is molloscum. Please meet a dermatologist and get them removed. Thank you

Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment of molluscum contagiosum? 5 hours later
Does this picture change your opinion .

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Tzank test to be done Detailed Answer: Hello Even the second picture is suggestive of molluscum. A simple microscopic examination of material obtained from one of the lesions can confirm the diagnosis. It is called as Tzank smear. Please meet a dermatologist and get it done. Thank you

Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment of molluscum contagiosum? 3 hours later
A doctor gave a quick look 2 weeks ago and said maybe herpes so he gave me herpes medication to take for a week but it did not do anything so is that a sign that it cant be herpes if antiviral medication did nothing

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 hours later
Brief Answer: not herpes Detailed Answer: Hello Its not herpes. Lesions of herpes are water filled and remain intact just for a day, later they rupture and may develop ulcers. Also there is always itch or pain in herpes lesions. Thank you