What are the symptoms and treatment for cryptomenorrhea?

Mar 2016

Wondering about the subject cryptomenorrhea. What are the main symptons and possible remedy. I have a partner who is 40yrs and has never been pregnant before.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Cryptomenorrhea is a clinical condition where menstrual blood fails to come out from the genital tract due to obstruction in the passage.

Most common cause is imperforate hymen and transverse vaginal septum. Other acquired causes are cervical stenosis followed by amputation/ cauterisation and secondary vaginal atresia. Later causes are most important in her age if she got her period earlier.

Symptoms are mainly periodic pain in the lower abdomen, urinary problem to the extent of urinary retention, long time amenorrhea. An uniform globular mass or uterine enlargement may be observed in the abdomen. Hymen may be bulged out. Here, you need to consult with gynecologist to perform pelvic examination and confirm the diagnosis. Early menopause is also to be eliminated according to her age. Additionally, one pelvic ultrasound scan may be required.

Treatment is basically surgical. In case of imperforate hymen, incision is made and blood is drained out. Dilatation of the cervix is needed in case of stenosis. Other supportive treatment is also advisable.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment for cryptomenorrhea? 1 hour later

Just a follow up on this. She has always had this medical issue. So she hasn't been having normal menstrual cycle that eventually stopped. At the age of about 23-24yrs, she had a minor surgery on her hymen after which she had her normal period for a couple of days and it stopped afterwards. Since then, no menstruation despite her feeling all the symptoms of normal menstruation every month(enlarged breast, some abdominal pain) without the normal outflow. What we know is that she doesn't suffers from urinary retention. But I know notice some sort of obstruction when penetrating during intercourse.

Thanks in advance!

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up query with additional information.

Urinary retention may be symptomatic with low stream urine or lower abdomen bulging. Obstruction during intercourse may be caused by vaginal atresia or cervical stenosis. These are to be ruled out by proper pelvic examination.

Here, I recommend to consult with your gynecologist at the earliest for proper diagnosis of the case through complete health check up and relevant investigations.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen