What are the symptoms and treatment for GERD ?

I have been diagnosed with GERD LPR and gastritis since January was recently placed in March on Dexelent 60mg I have awful phlem throat and constant swallowing. Now have a new symtom since 2 weeks which is a very bad burn in throat, chest and acidy burn in mouth saliva which feels like I swallowed a hot pepper. Where is this coming from I am taking Maalox and Zantac 300mg with the Dexilant where is this new symptom coming from it is awful nothing helps I supposed to be getting better but now this burning is arising any advise on what to do for the burning acid and usually how long before I will be receiving relief from all this! Please advise.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 2 hours later

The burn that you are feeling in the throat and mouth is likely to be due to your laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). The burning sensation in your chest (heartburn) is likely to be due to your gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Both these conditions occur due to the acidic stomach contents regurgitating into the esophagus and pharynx.

You are already taking optimum doses of medications (Dexilant, Maalox and Zantac) to control your stomach acid. Since you are still having symptoms, I would advise you to consult your doctor. He/she may want to increase the dose of your current medications.

In addition to medications, some simple measures may help reduce your symptoms. These are:
Avoid spicy or fatty food, coffee, carbonated drinks
Take small meals
Avoid alcohol
Do not eat very close to bedtime
Lose weight if you are overweight
Avoid smoking
Do not wear tight fitting clothes
Sleep with the head end of your bed elevated
Avoid stress

If symptoms persist in spite of adequate medical treatment and lifestyle modifications mentioned above, you can opt for anti-reflux surgery (surgical tightening of the lower esophageal sphincter).

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have further queries.
Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment for GERD ? 33 minutes later
Does these awful symptom usually going away in time? I am already on the highest does of Dexilant 60mg what can I do in the meantime for this awful acid taste in mouth and burning?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 11 hours later

Most GERD patients do respond to medical treatment. Symptoms of LPR are more resistant to treatment.

Do try to implement the lifestyle modifications that I have mentioned in the first post. Medications are less likely to help if they are not supplemented by adequate lifestyle changes.

If your symptoms persist, do ask your doctor about anti-reflux surgery.

Wish you good health.