What are the symptoms MRI revealed microvascular ischemia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What symptoms can one expect for a 90 year old whose MRI indicates "extensive white matter FLAIR/T2 signal abnormalities....chronic microvascular ischemia"?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Chronic microvascular ischaemic changes on MRI of a 90 year old male might be an age related degenerative change. This can be associated with symptoms of dementia at times. Most of the times such microvascular changes are not associated with any signs and symptoms. In such a case no treatment is needed. If it is an age related change then nothing much can be done to improve it either.
These might be associated with some neurological deficit in which case an evaluation by a neurologist is recommended.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.