What are the sure symptoms of schizophrenia ?

I ve been having these thoughts about hurting my girlfriend for about one month now, these thoughts have been causing a lot of anxiety and worry. Also about a couple days ago I read an article on schizophrenia and its gotten me worry that I might have it. I ve been obsessing about it, I was wondering is this OCD or something else? would anybody know what this could possibly be?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

I will try to help you understand a bit about what thoughts you have been dealing with. First of all, it is important to understand why you might have a thought about harming your girlfriend. Has there been anything that she has done in the past that would lead you to feel resentment or anger? These are the kinds of things that can generate irrational thoughts at times.

I am not surprised that you have anxiety about this, I understand this is stressful for you and I thank you for sharing your thoughts with me very candidly. I don't think your thoughts are diagnostic for schizophrenia or OCD. It could be something else such as even depression.

I honestly think that you would benefit from professional counseling. This is typically offered by an individual with a masters or PhD in counseling psychology. These professionals are very good in general at helping us understand why our minds act the way they do and then - in understanding - help us maintain and improve our quality of life.

I am sure you care very much for your girlfriend and would not want to harm her. I would suggest that you work on lifestyle modification at this time in addition to trying to setup a session with a professional counselor. In modifying your lifestyle, I'd like you to focus on maintaining a healthy diet, a regular exercise regimen and good sleeping habits as all of these combine to help promote optimal mental and physical health.
XXXXXXX thanks again for your query. I hope my response has been both adequate and informative. I am available for your followups.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: What are the sure symptoms of schizophrenia ? 46 minutes later
They have been intrusive thoughts of me killing her which is the last thing I want to do, but I have also had thoughts about other people as well not killing them, but afraid I will punch them in the face. I was wondering if it was ocd because I read something that said fear of hurting others which is a pure obsession ocd. Now i am just worry about having schizophrenia.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 50 minutes later

Thanks for the followup.

These thoughts of senseless violence without obvious triggering factor do make me suspect that you are dealing with more of a mood disorder rather than schizophrenia. This does not fit OCD per se either - yes you are having recurring thoughts but these are more narrow in scope compared to a person with OCD which affects every facet of their lives - such as checking the light switch 50 times per day to make sure it is off and such.

Please try to not focus your thoughts on schizophrenia or any pure diagnosis for that matter. I would rely on a professional to help you figure out why your mind is acting this way and possibly help arrive at a true diagnosis. Until that time, please do the best to take care of your mind and body. I also have to urge you that if you continue to have these thoughts of hurting anyone else or if you start to develop some kind of plan for carrying this out that you need to seek the advice and help of a counselor immediately.

As physicians we only understand a small amount of how and why the mind acts the way it does. I invite you to extend a hand to your doctor or to a counselor to help you gain control of your thoughts and understand them completely.

I again hope this has been helpful to you.

Dr. Galamaga