What are the signs that an anal fissure is healing?

Cardiologist
Question
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology. I read your question with diligence.

In one sentence anal fissure has begun to heal when its main symptoms start abating that is Pain and Bleeding.
The symptoms of an anal fissure usually include pain and bleeding.

Pain
An anal fissure no longer causes a severe and sharp pain when you pass stools (poo). Neither the sharp pain when stool is being passed nor the XXXXXXX burning pain which was felt in some cases for hours is there. If present, they are qualitatively much less severe and quantitatively become shorter and shorter.

Bleeding
Anal fissures now, no longer cause bleeding when you pass stools. Most people notice in the beginning a small spot of bright blood on toilet paper gradually that also disappears.

Sitting on a chair properly which used to be so discomforting is no longer associated with any problem.

These are symptoms of healing. On examination, lack of signs on anal examination is evident sign of healing.
If there is any more query, I will be happy to answer. Regards.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: What are the signs that an anal fissure is healing? 19 hours later
Is there any medicine you recommend to help to heal an anal fissure?I am eating a high fibre diet and drinking a large amount of water.I am currently breastfeeding and have chosen not to use rectogesic.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,

The reason you for which you are not using local medicated ointment is wise one and others should learn from it, for any medicine used locally it is impossible that zero component will be absorbed and gets secreted in breast milk. So, err on the side of caution please do not use any medicine for local use.

However, to make stool soft and thus hasten the healing you can use liquid paraffin 1 oz orally, it is not absorbed (some controversial evidence to the contrary in medical literature) and you need not have any fear. If stools are soft you need not use any medicine except high fiber diet. We can discuss after lactation is over -I hope there will not be any need- for fissure would have healed completely by then. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW