What are the signs of angina?

Hi...I'm 42, with temporal tobe epilepsy, & my night seizures have recently had burning sensation in L forearm, going slowly up to my head and a twitch in the R eye - but at other times there's sometimes coldness in L shoulder & arm, with heavy chest - could this suggest angina, despite normal pulse of 50-60/min at time, and BP of 110/68 at rest? My height is 5ft 7in, and weight 79kg - I've been overweight for a long time but never obese. I'm on 4 drugs for epilepsy (epanutin, keppra, lamotrigine & zonisamide), but no other major history apart from depression a few years ago.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 31 minutes later
Hi Masons,

Thank you for your query.

The symptoms which you have described could be stable angina provided they are brought on by effort and subside after taking rest. How ever you should consult a physician or cardiologist who might run a few tests like ECG, TMT to start with. A thorough annual physical is advised.

Do you have any family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels in the blood or heart disease? If yes it is worthwhile to get a comprehensive cardiac evaluation done.

The symptoms which you described could well be a part of the clinical picture of a simple partial seizure. Nevertheless it is advisable to consult a physician / cardiologist to rule out heart disease.

Hope this helps you, Please take care and get well soon.
Follow-up: What are the signs of angina? 10 hours later
Thanks for your answer. However, I wish to inquire about the possibility of unstable angina, as the vague 'heavy' or 'tight, uncomfortable' chest (which I have noticed mainly when alone) has usually occurred when I was not particularly active, and I had no problem when I tried out going for a jog the other day.
I believe that the heart did stop for a few seconds (with a couple of very recent simple partial seizures in bed), and an ECG when I saw a doctor later on one of those mornings was found to be normal.
There is a definite family history of diabetes - my mother actually has type 2 diabetes, as do many in her family. I don't know about the family history of the other diseases, and I am consulting a GP over time about the chest symptoms, but the main reason for my concern is that I have planned to go for an 11-day trip from UK to visit a friend in Indonesia in 3 weeks' time.
Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 4 hours later
Hi Masons,

Thanks for getting back.

Your chest symptoms could well be unstable angina, provided they are brought on at rest, last more than 15 to 20 minutes and do not respond to regular anti-anginal medications.

Taking your planned trip into account I believe its worthwhile to consult a cardiologist and get a comprehensive cardiac evaluation done including Cardiac enzymes, Echocardiography, Tread Mill Test and if required a CT imaging of your heart vessels. Combined together these modalities can be very sensitive for detecting or ruling out heart disease.

The cardiology specialist can also prescribe you some medications for keeping you out of trouble during your proposed trip.

Hope this helps.