What are the side effects of xtin plus medicine?

I want to ask the side effects of XTIN plus medicin . A s i m taking it for my hair problem. Does it will affect my sex life? In which respect it will affect my sex life.Does it will reduce sparm count. does it will reduce sex duration with my life partner? should i stop it or continue?
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 3 hours later

XTIN plus medicine contains fluoxetine. Fluoxetine is a selective serotonine reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) and an anti-depressant. All the SSRIs have some effect on sexual activity. Sexual side effects are common with SSRI in both men and women. So your concern is understandable. The severity of sexual side effects depends on the individual and the specific type and dose of antidepressant. For some people, sexual side effects are minor or may ease up as their bodies adjust to the medication. For others, sexual side effects continue to be a problem.

If you're taking an antidepressant that causes sexual side effects, one of these strategies may help -
1. Waiting several weeks to see whether sexual side effects get better.
2. Scheduling sexual activity before taking an antidepressant if your antidepressant requires a once-a-day dose.
3. Switching to another antidepressant that may be less likely to cause sexual side effects.
4. Adding a second antidepressant or another type of medication to counter sexual side effects. For example, the addition of the antidepressant bupropion or the anti-anxiety medication buspirone may ease sexual side effects caused by an antidepressant.

You should consult these issues with your treating doctors before taking any decision.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further queries you can write back to me.

Dr Arnab Maji
Follow-up: What are the side effects of xtin plus medicine? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your reply doctor. Actually i m not married.. i will go for it in Nov.2013.I have started taking xtin plus before 2 days. Doctor has suggested me it for 60 days . So i want to ask does its side effect will be permanent or temporary. suppose i stop taking this medicin after 3-4 months then it''s side effects will be removed or not. PLease elaborate which type of side effect i can see during the course of this medicin.Does it will affect my sex power or my ability to become father.
You suggested me to schedule my sex time so does it means it looses it's effect after 3-4 hours . I m taking i tablet daily in the evening.

Thankyou again for your reply . Waiting for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

See fluoxetin can cause these side effects by local vasoconstriction and thus can decrease blood supply through penile veins and prevent erection. So it may cause problem in erection, may make you impotent and may cause loss of libido. It may also cause decreased sexual drive, ejaculation problems and also priapism i.e. painful erection during sexual activity. These effects are seen in 10-12% of the people taking fluoxetine.

It is impossible for your healthcare provider to know beforehand whether you will develop any sexual side effects with fluoxetine. If you develop sexual side effects while taking this medication, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider.

These effects are not permanent. They will disappear with discontinuation of the medication. The duration of action of fluoxetine depends on many things. It is in general 6-8 hours but can have residual effect. Better to have sexual activity before taking that fluoxetine. One thing you also should keep in mind that you will never discontinue the drug abruptly rather you should go for gradual tappering of it's dose.

Hope I have answered you. If you have further queries you may write back to me. If you dont have you may close the discussion here.

Kindly write a review on this answer.

Dr Arnab Maji