What are the side effects of testosterone treatment?

After four years of pain level six with my back I started training with a physical therapist. Thirty days ago I started taking Foresta Gel. 40 mg of testosterone. I read in a study in Sports that bone density increased by 4% in Lumbar spine only. I feel better than I have in a long time. Lower back pain has not decreased or increased but my strength has though working out for the past year.My blood results before I started on testosterone were 8.64 test free, 596 testosterone and 1.45% free testosterone. What is your opinion of testosterone and its drawbacks.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Testosterone not recommended Detailed Answer: The expert guidelines issued by the Endocrine Society's panel of experienced testosterone area clinicians and researchers has time and again emphatically stated that unless there is categorical testosterone deficiency, the individual is unlikely to derive benefit from treatment with testosterone. The generally acceptable lower limit of total testosterone on a blood test is about 300, although there are variations from lab to lab and further depending on the method deployed to test the sample. The free testosterone levels are reliable only when performed by the 'Equilibrium dialysis' method. Alternatively, if the person's albumin and SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) levels are available, the free testosterone can be indirectly calculated with reasonable accuracy. Again the cut-offs for the lower limit on this value vary from 5.7 to 6.5 Furthermore, such a deficiency has to be documented on two separate occasions, and the blood sample must be collected between 7 am and 9 am because the levels drop normally as the day progresses. Based upon the data you have shared, it does not appear that your testosterone was low to begin with. However, as explained above, sometimes the total value can be misleading and checking the right way would be helpful. Those who are diagnosed with testosterone deficiency undergo a comprehensive and systematic work up to look for reversible causes like obesity and sleep apnea. Moreover, pros and cons of treatment are discussed with the individual. This discussion is initiated after a clear cut diagnosis is made