Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the side effects of spinal block?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
When I first opened WWW.WWWW.WW I saw a page that said "Spinal injection or spinal block side effects" It does not come up again WHY? tHANKFULLY i PRINTED THE PAGE. iT IS ENOUGH FOR ME TO MAKE MY DECISION ABOUT AN EPIDORAL STEROID INJECTION WHICH i WAS DUE TO HAVE OCT 3,2013. I HAVE A PROLAPSED BLADDER, I HAD COLON CANCER 13 YEARS AGO... I SOMETIMES DEFECATE WITHOUT KNOWING.. I WEAR TENA PADS 24-7 AND KNOW WHEN I NEED TO RUN TO URINATE..I HAVE DECIDED TO TRY EXERCISE, GOING TO POOL AND TAKING A MEDICINE I WAS GIVEN FOR 10 DAYS OF MELOXICAM 15 MG. STOPPING IBOPROFEN, AND ROBAXIN WHICH I JUST STARTED TAKING WHEN I FELL 8 STEPS 2 WEEKS AGO. HOWEVER MY MAIN QUESTION IS WHY CAN I NOT SEE THE PAGE WHICH MENTIONED THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE SPINAL INJECTIONS?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Could you clarify please.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your question.
I need to clarify whether you mean an spinal block or epidural steroid injection as they are different procedures. The spinal block is an injection for anesthesia and an epidural steroid injection is for pain relief for a chronic pain problem.
I am unclear which you are referring to. Therefore, if you let me know which you are considering I will help you with your questions.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: What are the side effects of spinal block? 18 hours later
thank you for your response... what I was going to be given is an EPIDURAL STEROID INJECTION WITH CONTRAST XXXXXXX WHICH I AM HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO.The doctor said to me that they now have a XXXXXXX that is geared for people who are allergic to a XXXXXXX that I had in the past which gave me a very bad itching all over my body. What they describe as what they were giving me is:
EPIDURAL/FACET,JOINT,MEDIALBRANCH NERVE,SACROILLAC JOINT, SELECTIVE NERVE ROOT OR LUMBAR SYMPATHETIC INJECTION/BLOCK. ABLATION: Low blood pressure, temporary weak/numb arm leg, headache requiring epidural blood patch. I have had pain in my Lumbar L4 and L5 since 1988 (I am 79 years old) and I have a prolapsed bladder where I must wear 24/7 Tena pads with my underwear. Thanks for your reviewing this request.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further explanation of the block.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further information.
The epidural injection you are going to receive is a frequently used treatment for back pain related to nerve root or disc problems. The side effects you mention do occur but are not common.
The injections will be local anesthetic and steroid. The local anesthetic will produce immediate relief and the steroid will reduce inflammation and be longer lasting. The beneficial effects may last weeks or months. If necessary the injections can be repeated every few months.
I hope I have helped you understand your treatment. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr L A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA