What are the side effects of paraesophogeal hiatal hernia surgery ?

Question
I AM HAVING TOUPE LAPORASCOPIC PARAESOPHOGEAL HIATAL HERNIA TUES. I UNDERSTAND SURGERY BUT CAN NOT GET A DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING RECOVERY PERIOD AND MOST IMPORTANTLY WHAT WILL BE THE LONGTERM RESULTS OF THIS I HAVE HEARD: INABILITY TO EVER BE ABLE TO EAT REASONABLE AMTS OF FOOD AT ONE TIME INABILITY TO BURP OR VOMIT. AM I JUST EXCHANGING 1 SET OF SYMPTONS FOR AN ENTIRE NEW SET
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Peptic Ulcer

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 33 minutes later

First of all, regardless of symptoms, "paraesophageal hiatal hernias should be repaired - in order to prevent complications and the repair is done mostly laparascopically". The laparoscope is a thin, telescope-like instrument with a camera on the end that enables the surgeon to view the inside of the abdomen. With this type of surgery, small incisions are made in the abdomen.

After the surgical procedure, you must only eat pureed foods for 1 to 2 weeks after the surgery. Then you can progress to soft foods and, in 4 to 6 weeks, return to the normal diet.

You are advised no heavy lifting for 4 weeks, chewing food thoroughly, avoiding carbonated beverages, gum, and smoking.

It is true that possible complications include difficulty swallowing, flatulence and gas bloating but these symptoms should improve with time. Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.

It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of paraesophogeal hiatal hernia surgery ? 11 hours later
WILL I HAVE TO EAT SMALL PORTIONS OF FOOD EVEN AFTER 6 WEEKS OR MORE PERHAPS PERMANENTLY AND WILL ANTACIDS AND PROTON PUMP INHIBITOR DRUGS BECOME A LIFETIME THING?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

You should take small portions of food only during the first 6 weeks and then you can have normal portions. Similarly, the proton pump inhibitors will be required only during the first 6 weeks.

You need to avoid too much of coffee, tea, spicy foods even after 6 weeks.

I sincerely hope that helps.

Best Regards.