What are the side effects of laser hair reduction?

Jan 2014

Hello Sir. I'm a wheatish 23 year old female. I'm planning to take laser hair removal treatment since I have excess hair growing on my chin and upper lips. I want to know how safe it is. I'm gonna get this done by a dermatologist. Will it have any side effects? Will the exposure to these rays give rise to any type of cancer?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Laser Hair Reduction is Safe and Effective Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Laser hair reduction (LHR) is a very safe and reliable way for hair reduction. Coarse facial hair in females (Hirsutism) can be safely and effectively reduced by Laser. Apart from mild redness post-laser which goes away with ice-pack application there are really no side effects at all, if done by a well trained/experienced expert. Laser light used for hair reduction is not associated with an increased risk of skin cancer Or any internal malignancy. However, before anyone undergoes LHR, it is important to know the cause of Hirsutism from history and lab investigations: --Your doctor would like to know whether there is any history of menstural irregularity or not? --Any history of hair loss/hair thinning from the scalp? Acne might be an indication of underlying hormonal abnormality Judging from the history your dermatologist might ask you undergo the following blood tests to look for any underlying hormonal abnormalities: --Serum Testosterone --Serum DHEAS(Dihydroepiandrostenedione sulphate). --Serum LH/FSH --Serum Prolactin --Pelvic ultrasound for polycystic ovaries. Underlying hormonal abnormality if discovered on history and physical examination and confirmed by lab test needs to be simultaneously treated with Anti-androgen therapy whilst undergoing Laser Hair Reduction. Hope this information helps. take care regards
Follow-up: What are the side effects of laser hair reduction? 1 minute later
Thank you, doctor. How many sittings should I take? Is it permanent?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: 6 sittings followed by maintenance sittings Detailed Answer: Hi. Normally it is advisable to take 6 sittings after an interval of approximately 4-8 weeks between sittings (interval actually depends on hair re-growth, means whenever you have a re-growth, you go for your next sitting). Normally after 6 sittings you will achieve a good reduction which can be followed by 2-3 maintenance sittings once in year or year and a half. It is close to permanent. Rememeber not to wax OR bleach. Shaving/cutting is fine take care regards