What are the side effects of drinking from an old bottle of Taxim-o Dry Syrup ?

Hi Doctor,

My baby is 1 year 1 Month old. She was having loose motion and for the same Doctor have suggested Taxim-o Dry syrup 1.5 ml twice a day.
Normally on Taxim-o Dry Syrup it's written we have to use it with in 7 days.
By mistake I used 2 month old bottle and that to 5 ml in single doze.

I had given only once just 2 hour back. I would like to know will this create any problem, if yes please tell me what next I should do.

Devendra XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 47 minutes later
Normally it is advised that the contents of the bottle be used within seven days of opening the bottle.If you had a bottle which was already opened and used it after 2 months,then you need to exercise more caution.If you opened a new bottle then its ok.
Next,you defintely gave your child a higher dose of the medicine but if it was just once,then dont worry yet.You need to however,monitor her condition for the next few hours.If you see any signs like rashes,vomitting,drowsiness,excessive sleepiness,non responsiveness then you need to take her to the doctor immediately.Dont give her the second dose yet.Hydrate her well so that the drug is washed out of the system.

Keep watch for the next few hours and if any symptoms arise,like i have mentioned,then take her to the hospital immediately.