What are the side effects of chlorpheniramine-phenylephrine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hi My son is six months old , i have given him 2.5 ml dosage of chlorpheniramine-phenylephrine as he was crying a lot, is there any side effect of it. also the problem started 24 hrs back when we gave him 30 ml of fresh XXXXXXX juice for the first time. he also had black stool 2 times. now the colour of stool is changing after 24 hrs. he did not sleep at all since the last nigt it only after fiving chlorpheniramine-phenylephrine he slept
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: the side effect is sedation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Crying a lot after giving XXXXXXX juice for the first time could be due to stomach cramps which may happen intolerance or allergy to that type of new food introduced for the first time. The change in color of the stool may be because of food intolerance. Therefore avoid giving XXXXXXX further. Crying in an infant requires careful examination to look for any discomfort in the child by parents and the doctor. Giving sedative medication such as chlorpheniramine maleate is not a solution as it causes drowsiness giving only temporary relief from the cry. But knowing the underlying cause for crying is important as the definite treatment depends on the underlying cause. The side effect of the medication is drowsiness and sedation. And chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine should be used cautiously in infants in prescribed conditions only with prescription from the doctor. Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician if the child cries further. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of chlorpheniramine-phenylephrine? 2 hours later
doctor the medicine i gave was phelargun and not timinc, and the doasge i gave was 2.5ml , i believe there would be no effect on his vital organs, like kidney heart or lever.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Its side effect is also sedation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. I think the drug you mentioned is Phenergan. It contains promethazine which is an antihistamine belonging to the same class of chlorpheniramine maleate. And its side effect is also sedation and drowsiness. And some times it may cause respiratory depression because of its sedative effect in small kids. As such it has no any adverse effect on kidney, heart or liver, but it has sedative effect on brain. Therefore I suggest you to give prescribed medication only whenever required. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.