Ask a Dentist   »  

What are the side effects of anesthesia?

Hello I had a bad experience today at dentist, went for toothache which they x-rayed, went back to waiting area and a young man called me in to inject to numb ready for the dentist. He numbed me and had to wait back in waiting area, 3 mins later my right eye started blinking continuously and then my left eye ( the side injected) would not close. I felt dizzy and sick and thought I was having a stroke. They took me into room and covered open eye with patch and pulled chair down to make me feel better. There were 4 staff in room with me, also the tooth which should of been numbed was not. Only affected area was my eyes, forehead and cheek. The dentist never did the injection herself and was not in the room. Eventually a few hours later they went back to normal but eyes feel strained and still hurts where injection was. My tooth infected was halfway along bottom jaw and injection by young male was done right at the very back. The top dentist came in to check on me and said the needle caught a facial nerve. I am supposed to be going back tomorrow to try again but too scared. Do I need to take further action also. Many thanks XXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is no reason to get too worry! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this terrible experience. Though medical procedures are always intended to be very safe, trouble can always set in. The good news is that this effect would fade away by tomorrow morning. In the same way these anesthetics are intended to paralyze the nerves of the are where the work is planned, so too it has mistakenly affected the wrong nerve that controls the eyes. As the product gradually diffuse out of the area and is eliminated from the system, so too the nerve would regain its entire functioning. You should not be too worried about this. No one does a procedure without being certified. I believe it just went wrong and not that he doesn't have the necessary training to do this. This happens even with the greatest experts and that is just medicine. Getting it right almost all of the times except for some rare unfortunate events. In all, you would get progressively better and fully recovered within 12hours. You would have no longterm complication from that unexpected occurrence. Put on protective glasses and administer artificial tears to protect the eyes. I hope this helps and relieves the fears you had. I wish you the best of health and an even safer procedure tomorrow. Please, feel free to ask for any clarifications if need be. Thanks! Dr. Ditah, MD.