Ask a Dentist   »  

What are the side effects of amalgam filling?

Good day,

I was wondering how much truth there is to the hype around amalgam filling releasing mercury vapour? Could this be exacerbated by having a retainer in your mouth from braces? Would this be able to cause elevated blood pressure?

I have 4 amalgam filling and a bottom retainer.

Kind Regards,
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to tell you that the mercury in amalgam fillings releases low levels of mercury vapor, which is absorbed into the bloodstream in the lungs and then taken to the kidneys to be passed out in the urine. High levels of vapor are associated with harming the kidneys and brain. But research shows that if you have less than 15 fillings, the vapor you release is too low to cause harm.Moreover its harmless above age of 6 years.
Retainers don't interfere with amalgam filling.Also there is no relation between mercury filling & blood pressure.Moreover 4 fillings won't cause much of vapor release & is least toxic.So needn't worry about it.

Hope I answered your query,
Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra