What are the side effects of Valacyclovir ?

General Surgeon
I'm currently taking Valacyclovir and that's working for Herpes. However, for the past several months I've been getting small red marks on my stomach that appear and then disappear within an hour. Is the medication causing this? I'm 39 years old - not overweight.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 47 minutes later

Valacyclovir is an anti viral drug used for herpes simplex & herpes zoster and many other conditions .

It has a variety of adverse or side effects on human body from mild to sever depending upon the immunity & many other factors. Neutropenia and leukopenia are among the list of adverse effects of valacyclovir & they seen in some people. These change in the blood count may cause small red marks on abdomen which appear or disappear frequently among some individuals.

So drug may be sole reason, as there is no other significant history.

I suggest you to take an opinion from a virologist to through more light on this issue.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”