What are the side effects of Mirena IUD ?

this is the question i sent that you could not see...I have a mirena iud for almost 5 years. i had issues right away but i was told not to worry about it. developed itching. black discharge in the first few months. then a cyst of 10 cm on ovary within a year and a half as well as blister/boil like thing on my nipple that would come and go that is filled w/ puss. i pop it w/ a pin to put peroxide on it to get it to go away, really nasty. now the same type of blister/ boil like thing in one spot from time to time in my virgina. inside the lip area. i have also been dealing w/ rosacea on my nose and pimple i never had as well. i read about other people w/ similar symptoms recently. i am getting it out in july, but i am tired of feeling like i am crazy. my ob kept telling me to leave the iud in, but i want to know can this iud be causing all my problems? or am i just getting body changes b/c i am 42 now. and can i pull this thing out myself?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. It is true that Mirena IUD is notorious for causing irregular bleeding and heavy or light bleeding. Ovarian cysts can also develop after using this contraceptive. This is due to enlargement of follicle which may be asymptomatic, although some may be accompanied by pelvic pain.

Rosacea and pimple like boils are unrelated to the Mirena IUD. Boils are usually caused by an ingrown hair or may be caused by plugged sweat glands that become infected. so these symptoms are not related to Mirena.

For the irregular menstrual cycle and the ovarian cyst, you can get the IUD taken out but it should be done by a medical professional. Avoid doing it on your own as it may slide further up or cause perforation and injury.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.